Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Links and Updates

It’s been a pretty blasé couple of weeks, but a short article of mine has appeared in Awkward Paper Cut. Titled Writing Imaginatively Under Constraint, it gives a highly condensed overview of television’s mastery of storytelling, specifically how it’s learnt to draw complex narratives out over the course of forty-five minute episodes. (Mines at the bottom, so scroll down!)  

I also picked up a treat for myself at the mall:



I dearly want to write on Orphan Black, but I honestly don’t feel worthy of it. The more I watch the more I’m impressed by how concise and clever the writing is: the plotting, the themes, the characterization. Perhaps with this latest rewatch I’ll be able to muster up the courage to say something meaningful about it.

This is a great piece on “concern trolling” when it comes to our treatment of female characters in romantic relationships, and the painful transparency of fandom when it criticizes girls for getting in the way of other ships being bad feminist icons because of their romantic attachments. (The article actually links to one that I originally commented on; so I like to think I may have helped inspire it!)

Eight days left until season two of Sleepy Hollow!

The other day I went for a walk in the Christchurch Botanical Gardens, and to my surprise, the door that adjourns Christ’s College (which I call the Narnia door because it reminds me of the one in The Silver Chair) was open! I’d never seen it open before, so I took the chance to slip through and take some pictures of the beautiful stonework on the buildings there:

 
 
 


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment