Search This Blog

Friday, November 21, 2014

The Legend of Korra: Remembrance

A clip show? Really?

My initial irritation was somewhat tempered when I became aware of Bryan Konietzko's explanation, as posted on his Tumblr:

Sometime around a year and a half ago we were similarly duped on a large scale. We got the news from the higher-ups that our Book 4 budget was getting slashed, almost to the tune of an entire episode’s budget. We had two options: 1) let go a significant number of crew members several weeks early, or 2) make a clips episode. We never considered the first option. We weren’t going to do that to our crew, and even if we were callous enough to do so, we never would have been able to finish the season without them.

Given that they had little choice in the matter, I concede that this episode was a necessary evil. Being placed at the mid-point of the season even helped re-establish some of the characters, their positions and their short/long terms goals, setting us up for the final stretch.




There were a few good laughs scattered here and there (in fact, I think Prince Wu's comment to Mako: "I'm not you – I wasn't raised by a pack of cops in the woods" is hands-down the funniest thing that's ever been said on this show) and some fun animation tricks (namely the little chibi heads that popped up over the original screenshots).


But of course, then there's the meta-text.

As amusing as I found Ember Island Players, I'm generally not a fan of pandering, ship-bait, in-jokes, apologia, and other direct winks to the audience. Too often it suggests a lack of faith in one's own storytelling abilities, demonstrated here by various characters commenting on Mako's ambiguous breakup with Asami ("wait, was that supposed to be you breaking up with her?"), Unalaq's failure as a villain ("the diabolical but incredibly boring and unpopular sorcerer from the north"), and the sheer batshit crazy of the second season's finale ("and that's where the stars come from!") – three hot points of contention among the fanbase.

I criticized all three myself when I reviewed the episodes, but I have absolutely no interest in hearing the creators admit their mistakes, however jokingly. As far as I'm concerned, they dealt with them on a Watsonian level when they dropped the love triangle, introduced more complex villains, and finally delivered a coherent finale with drastic consequences for the central characters. Commenting on them after the fact achieves nothing.

Of course, I'm willing to go easier on Bryke in this case considering they had few options in structuring an episode around recycled animation, but still, if I was able to write an open letter to show-runners everywhere, it would go something like this:

I am a fan. You know I exist. I know I exist. But I don't need your attention or validation. I'm perfectly capable of watching/reading/listening to what you're offering without you acknowledging my existence. In fact, giving me a hat-tip every now and then is the quickest and most sure-fire way of disrupting my suspension of disbelief.

You don't need to justify your creative decisions to me, and if I don't like them I can easily change the channel and watch something else. Trust in your work, improve your flaws, and stay behind the fourth wall where fandom can't unduly influence your output.

Now stop winking at me and tell your damn story.

Miscellaneous Observations:

Asami says that after Amon's defeat: "non-benders finally had a voice." Wait – that happened? When? The first season completely glossed over non-bender rights.

Varrick describing Vaatu as "The biggest, scariest, meanest kite that ever flew!" sums up my torn feelings on meta-text in general – the line is funny, there's no doubt of that. And of course, fandom pointed out early on that he did indeed look like a kite. But to me at least Vaatu was also mysterious and effective and intimidating. Knowing that the writers can off-handedly joke about his appearance lessons that character's power. Like how in Ember Island Players they rather tastelessly joked about the ambiguity of Jet's death in the face of fandom's bizarre refusal to accept the clear signposts that he had just been killed. It's jarring and disruptive.

"It's just a mover. Don't overthink it. It's like a ride." I really hope that isn't pre-emptive commentary on the finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment