Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Standing Tall #9

Yikes, I haven't done one of these in ages!
This giraffe was one of the very first I went to visit (in fact, it might well have been the second) and it was beautifully placed next to the Peacock Fountain in the Botanical Gardens, just across the road from the Arts Centre which is still undergoing extensive repairs. Called Spring: Brilliance in Resilience by Gwilym Devey, the bright flowers against the black backdrop symbolises the onset of hope that accompanies the arrival of spring, as well as the on-going city rebuild. Like spring flowers, we'll eventually grow back.
It also marked the first time I realized how special this project was, as I was joined at the sculpture by a couple of American tourists – the first of many occasions in which I would end up in conversation with other people who were deliberately seeking out giraffes across the city.




No comments:

Post a Comment